10/4/11

office supplies


As a mixed media artist I look at just about every object as a possible art supply. I would never complain about this, because I believe it is the cornerstone of my creativity, but honestly it can be overwhelming. There are times when I crave scarcity as a challenge.

Yesterday, I found myself at our office waiting for lilo to finish her never ending call sheet. Now I am a totally childish person when it comes to patiently waiting for people. My inner 6 year old stirs, and I start twirling around in chairs and fidgeting with stuff I'm not supposed to touch. Naturally, ripping the tape off of some of the mail envelopes on our desk seemed like an amusing activity, so I started in on that. I'm glad I did, because I ended up noticing how pretty and abstract the pieces of tape were after they were pulled from the paper. Some writing and bits of paper fiber would still be attached to the underside, but obscured. I love obscurity.

You cannot plan for when the muse chooses to descend upon you. You will most likely feel unprepared. You'll definitely be in the wrong place, without a paint brush in sight. Just go with it.

So, I cut an atc blank from a manilla file folder, grabbed a sharpie + random magazine, and thankfully found a glue stick in one of the desk's drawers. A little piece of the tape I pulled from the envelope was still sticky, so I pressed it onto some eyes I found in the magazine. (Try this with some packing tape. Just press it into whatever you want to pick up from the page, and then rip it off fast.) The effect was awesome, and so I built this creepy little person.

I'm planning to spend the day playing around with this tape method. Be back later to show you where it takes me.

20 comments:

  1. this story could have been written about me. i think i love you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!
    You're right about the "just go with it" part!
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  3. new follower, here, from promofrenzyteam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog looks way artsy, I wish mine could look half as serious x_X

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol... you are creative... would love to have that ability!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog....am a new follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Promo Frenzy Team! I'm seeing "follower this blog", so I hope that means my Follow' took' :D

    Jill Q = jQjewelrydesigns

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Frenzy team :)
    I stumbled the blog but I can't find the button to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to pass time! Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "You cannot plan for when the muse chooses to descend upon you. You will most likely feel unprepared. You'll definitely be in the wrong place, without a paint brush in sight. Just go with it." you've chosen a niche where you can get so crazily creative! and so you are. you remind me of nobodyhere.com - one of my favorite sites! welcome to our team;) having around such inspired artists makes me lose my expression inhibitions too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can truly relate to the inner child thing. Sitting still and waiting is just such a waste of time & creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cool blog....i like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog, love your inner child!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds really cool!! I can't wait to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. tape?? who knew??? guess i will have an excuse when i go to the office supply store now. I'm addicted to that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. uniquecozytreasures- Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can do a lot with the plainest office supplies if you have the energy and creativity for fun. Of course, offices would look better with a twist of color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!

    ReplyDelete