1/9/12

deletion poetry



I made these altered book pages for a butterfly anarchist swap on the bot, and have now fallen in love with the deletion poetry method. Basically, you find a block of text, black out or cross through the words/phrases you do not want, and thus highlight the ones you do. Hopefully you end up with something poetic. But even if you don't, these are a fun creative exercise. The pages below are from a 1970's paperback book about housewife hookers (no joke) that I found in the discard bin of a used book store.






8 comments:

  1. I love deletion poetry! I did some of it in college, but that was a few years ago. Thanks for the reminder to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever!
    Angie (blogging buddies)
    http://godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool - love the black and khaki together. Great idea!

    Hugs - Brandi
    Etsy Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radical - love it! Off to delete some passages : )

    From the Etsy Blog Team

    http://sisterbatik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Comment Blog ♥ (6) Swap Piimanyx (2/3)

    I find this idea very very good !
    I really like that you do !
    You are so inventive & imaginative !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I've seen something similar done one or two times before but wow, I really am in awe of this. You are so talented and you have inspired me. I loved cutting out tiny words for inchies, and it used to read similarly to this.

    I love the white ass bitches one.

    ♥SB-1

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I've never even thought of this. I have several books in bad shape and this would be a wonderful project for them! Love the "sex machine" one and the last one. Awesome!

    SE
    violettedream
    Check Out my Blog #8

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow these are awesome.
    i'll go and look if i have some old books to do this with.
    you bring me ideas.
    greetz,
    kimberley

    ps. check out my blog #8.

    ReplyDelete