2/29/12

rocky

Rocky   |   mixed media collage on 3.5 x 2.5 cardstock

There was a time, not too long ago, when I found myself between a rock and a hard place. I realize now -- I loved it. Not because it was easy to get lost in the depression. And, not because the hard times passed, and eventually my situation worked out. I loved it because that build up of pain and frustration fed my art.


limbs   |   aceo, mixed media collage on 2.5 x 3.5 cardstock

I am grateful for pain. It is perhaps the strongest indicator of life; reminding me that I am out there living, willing to be knocked down. It clarifies. It manifests as many glorious varieties of friction. You must appreciate how it makes love possible.


red man   |   aceo, mixed media collage on 3.5 x 2.5 cardstock

But, no longer do I dwell into daydream, searching for a touch of the frayed edge of a thread. This does not render me lost or inept. It just leaves me devoid of sweet and utterly necessary pain. A need too difficult to tend.

17 comments:

  1. they say there is a dark side to all artists.
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pain if you can turn it into art can be a good thing. Nice pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art and beautiful blog post...I don't think I have ever used the word beautiful to describe a blog post but it really is quite beautiful. I will be following your blog from now on :)

    <3 Jesse from blogging buddies on Etsy

    www.jesseannedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg...didn't mean to over use any words there :)

      4 times? lol sorry!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I must say, I loved this blog. I am not at the point of relishing pain, but I do agree it feeds the creative process. Creating is something to DO with all the feelings, a reprise from them. Love your art! As I have said before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting work. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post and your art work, very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need this today. To know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know that you can change negative into positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I read this non-fiction book called "The Geography of Bliss," where the author traveled to many countries to learn about what makes the people there happy. It seems that the British (and I'm really generalizing here) are happy because of their grumpiness. So one thought was that happiness and sadness aren't on the opposite ends of the spectrum, but can coexist as two separate spectrums. I mean, some people thrive off the pleasure of pain, right? Good luck with finding your bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is both honest and beautiful. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there! i just found your blog and i am so glad i did! i love these pictures and writing, great post! am definitely a new follower, keep up the great work! would appreciate it if you could check out our blog! these collages are absolutely amazing.


    xoxo
    http://thegreenraybans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete