2/1/12

sketchbook


I let the Sketchbook Project get too big in my head. Sketching is supposed to be somewhat undefined, like a visual stream of consciousness. It's supposed to look like how we make the sausage, not the actual sausage. Once I let go of my grand ambitions of making my most mind blowing art to date within these thin pages, the inspiration and courage to take this book and create with freedom came. It came just in time for the deadline. Two days ago this book was completely empty, and now it is on its way to the Brooklyn Art Library to be part of a traveling exhibition.

the inside of my book has a little pocket with a pull out sheet that gives a lil bio of me and my creative process.
truth be told, I do not sketch that often in the traditional sense. drawing is not a medium I am too comfortable or talented at. my preference is collage, so I thought that using the sticky side of pieces of tape to pick up different parts of images is a way to collage sketch.

my theme, which I chose when I bought the book, is the writing on the wall. my interpretation is pretty loose. people are walls in a way, and their expressions are the words on them. in each portrait I tried to mesh expressions or body language together to form a new message, independent from the originals.

here you can see how the tape pieces overlap. I used both matte and shiny to create depth and contrast. the next three are my favorite portraits.

12 comments:

  1. You are a very talented and intriguing artist! I am so happy to see your work and growth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Keep the creativity going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evey isn't that something? To be part of a traveling exhibition! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea, terrific that you participated in this project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superior work Evey.
    I love that you are working and creating in an artform unique to you. The results are electrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow congrats on getting into the traveling exhibit, your work is fantastical

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's terrific. Keep working on new books for another traveling exhibit. Love that the ideas flowed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so unique. I love that you shared your sketchbook with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool stuff, you are very talented! I wish you lots and lots of success! <3 promo frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you inspire me. period. end of discussion.

    ReplyDelete